If the answer is yes look at this short guide that could save you some dimes or bucks in each Paypal transaction.
First of all, when you start Paypal transaction process it will offer you to chose funding options. It should look something like this picture.
It is possible to see that conversion is already suggested, and by default, Paypal would do it.
The fact is that this is the worst option for you since their charges for conversion are sky-high. To change this setting you need to do some clicking. It is nicely complicated since Paypal does not want you to change it and yet must allow you the freedom to do it.
How to stop wasting money to Paypal
Like marked on the picture above, there is a tiny link that says “change” when you start the payment process. That is your starting point. After clicking that link you will get another confusing option like on the picture below. Actually, there is no option marked for the change of conversion provider. You need to click on the link that actually shows the exchange rate.
After that, the magic option will appear and you will have the chance to change how will you do the conversion.
It is obvious that by default “Convert with Paypal” is selected. And please take a note that it would cost 5,19 BAM this way.
Now we are going to select “Convert with card issuer” option. At final something like this will appear showing your final step. It will not show you converted amount since conversion is not done by the Paypal.
Here is an SMS statement from the bank that says that transaction was made and it was 4.94 BAM.
It means that in this example it is 0.25 BAM less than it would be by default. It is roughly 5 % and Paypal would take it just because it is the default option and many people don’t know how to change it. I spoke with people that use the Paypal daily and even they did not figure it out. So next time when you make payment thru this service and your country currency is different than the one you are paying in to, take few seconds to change currency converter in order to avoid wasting money.
Another thing to avoid
If you have any pre-approved payments in Paypal, know the same thing applies to them also. In this case, there is no option to avoid currency conversion fees. For example, I removed pre-approved payment for Netflix in my account, and now I`m paying for it by credit card directly. On 10 Euro transaction fee was around 30-40 Cents. It`s not a big deal, but I don`t like being robbed, even for few cents. They are processing millions of transactions daily, so do the math.
There are some interesting statistics on this link.
At the end don`t get me wrong, Paypal is a great service, and I`m not saying that you should avoid using it. This is just a tip to use it wisely.
Just a short update, not a two weeks after publishing this article, Paypal changed its default policy, and from now you are able to set conversion provider other than Paypal as a default. There are some more good changes, but this is the most important one. Thank you for listening Paypal!
Once again, thank you for reading.
Smartphone money saving upgrade.
Posted in *.* Tagged with: Paypal
Artistic view of a Solar Sail SCC
After Paypal, Hyperloop One, Tesla, and many other projects behind, Elon Musk`s empire united in a joint venture with Lockheed, Roscosmos and some other companies and organizations, just announced the “Solar Ride“. Mission to Mars as of today is not a Sci-Fi movie, but reality. As pieces of Elon Musk`s final plan are coming together and getting reviled to public, this man`s futuristic ideas are looking more and more real. This bold plan has a mission to send people to great distances in a time frame, small enough, not to consume an entire part of a human life. For example if a travel to Mars is going to take half of your life, than you have nothing to return for or no time to do it. But if you are able to go to Mars in a weeks , days, or even hours, than we are not talking about just one time visit, but something more like a regular traffic line. To put some numbers in, distance to Mars is 225 Million Kilometers, and if one would travel there at Mach 2 constant speed (that is near the speed of Concorde supersonic airplane for example), it would take 10.4 years to come to Mars. We can all agree that it is too long. But lets take another example and consider traveling at speeds more close to speed of light than the speed of sound. If we would ride at 1/10 of the speed of light , it would take 125 ………. minutes to come to Mars. Sounds better?
Now back to Musk`s project , and it`s terminology .
- Photon Cannon – Initial starting device, like a catapult for a airplane, but involved in a space travel. Device, or better called facility located in geostationary orbit of our planet that will launch “S-Rider” space craft and give it a “Photon push” to its 1/10 of the light speed.
- “S-Rider SCC” – spacecraft carrier, capable of harvesting photon energy or in simple way using light like sailing ship uses the wind. This huge ship, is designed to carry Dragon spacecraft from one planet`s orbit to another. For now it looks like the problem of human`s body fragile structure will be solved by “Liquid compartment” , meaning that human passengers will be in the “breathing liquid” environment that will overcome rough speedup from 0 to 1/10 of the light speed .
- Hyper maneuvering – when traveling at 1/10 of speed of light maneuvering itself is a challenge. Just keep in mind that you would make a circle around the Earth in 1.33 seconds. Hyper maneuvering would be done by hybrid ASIC – Neuralink device that would overcome slow human reflexes or to say remove not only the delay between thought and action taken by a muscle, but the limited number of thoughts and actions that can be performed simultaneously. It would also simplify delivering commands to spacecraft since most of the traditional human input devices like pedals, switches, sticks etc. would not be necessary.
- Solar brakes – combined with retrorockets will aid in maneuvering and stopping the spacecraft. They together with some other parts of spacecraft use reversed Cherenkov radiation for flipping photons backwards, and “cacthing” photons from desired angles.
- Micronova – smaller and controlled artificially created supernova.
- High yield photon burst or HYPB – it can be looked as a photon projectile, created by triggering micronova in Photon Cannon.
- Dragon spacecraft – free-flying spacecraft designed to deliver both cargo and people to orbiting destinations.
In this project there are 6 major phases regarding Earth – Mars travel :
- Go to geostationary orbit facility aka Photon Cannon
- Fire Photon Cannon , releasing HYPB to get initial speed of the “S-Rider”
- Harvest photon energy for initial speedup, up to speeds near the speed of light
- Solar travel or photon sailing to destination
- Engaging photon brakes and retrorockets for positioning into geostationary orbit of Mars
- Separating a Dragon spacecraft from S-Rider and landing it on Mars
As a first step it is planed to be one way trip for cargo and research drones that would be stockpiled or used remotely in Mars`s orbit.
Photon Cannon part of the containment field generator
It is obvious that for returning journey one more Photon Cannon would be needed in at the Mars side to ensure initial speedup. For now there are some options considered, like sending unmanned automated cargo ships with preassembled parts so at the final point Photon Cannon would be built in Marses orbit and used for sending S-Riders back to Earth. This would add huge amount of lag time to end phase of the project, and skyrocket the price of entire endeavour, but in a long term it would make the travel Earth – Mars – Earth almost like ping pong. Final decision has still not been reached but most of the blueprints and proof of concept solutions has been already made.
Photon Cannon part of “Micronova igniter”
It`s not a secret that Musk`s companies are digging beneath LA, and part of the story is resolving a 2D roads and 3D Buildings problem, by transforming 2D road network to 3D using multi layer tunnels. Other part is that those underground digging sites, can be used as a great and hidden testing facilities for other purposes, and we got few leaked images of the smaller test version of the Photon Cannon. It is truly remarkable piece of machinery and we are still hoping that Musk will soon shade some light on a subject.
Now, to share some info about project progress and time schedule….
Photon Cannon is already in successful testing phase , not in orbit but below Earths surface. Manufacturing of SFV (Satellite Facility Version) starts as of this day. It`s planned to be finished by October 2018. It is proprietary technology and it will be built “in-house” by Musk`s companies .
“S-Rider SCC” is going to be built in next two years, and contracts are signed with Lockheed Martin one of the leaders in Aerospace & Defense industries and Roscosmos , Russian State Corporation for Space Activities. Hypermaneuvering part of the SCC will be done in-house by Neuralink and for the Liquid compartment part GUE is contracted as consultant for underwater survival and University of Medical Sciences of Havana for breathing liquid technology as a leader on this field. You see , Elon Musk once again did what was considered impossible, and so to say got Yin and Yang to work together, all for the same and better cause.
Dragon Spacecraft is already there and in use, so only some modifications need to be made for it to be carried by S-Rider SCC. It is a finish to start task and it`s predecessor task is S-Rider.
One more aspect of this story emerges after thinking this thru. Some questions need to be asked: Will someone try to claim the Mars ? Will UN have to enforce The Outer Space Treaty in the near future? Is it possible to own a planet? Will the Mars get its owner , and will it be a person, state or a company? Is there gonna be a monopoly on a space travel since technology could be locked? More and more questions can be asked, but since this is a story that has a Elon Musk as a protagonist, those kind of questions can be forgotten.
Summa summarum, by all pointers, test ride to Mars could be happening in the middle of the 2020, and we can only conclude that we live in such a exciting time, and be grateful to have people like Elon Musk living and creating among us, since he is one of the very few real intellectuals in this world.
Once again, thank you for reading.
P.S. This all went pretty well considering the publishing date 🙂
Posted in Tech Tavern Tagged with: Airbus, ASIC, Dragon, Elon Musk, GUE, Hyperloop One, LA, Lockheed Martin, Los Angeles, Mars, Neuralink, Paypal, Roscosmos, Space flight, Space-x, Spacecraft, Tesla, The Outer Space Treaty, Travel to Mars, UN, Who will claim the Mars ?